Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Snack Attack: Pass the Weed

Now I can finally stop buying rice crackers. Really I was just doing it so I could suck the nori off them. All hail my new favorite snack: Shirakiku Korean Style Seasoned Seaweed.



I bought 'em yesterday at the Japanese grocery in my 'hood. The 3-packs were on special in a bin, and I didn't really pay them much mind until this 11-year-old gringo kid (or whatever you call us in Japanese... gaijin, I guess) walked over with his dad and a shopping cart and piled about 10 of them in. The dad said, "Are you sure?" And the kid was like, "YES, Dad. They're good!" I recognized the look in that kid's eyes. It's the look of the food-obsessed. We're born that way. So I grabbed me a pack.

For all the things that are wrong with schools in California, you gotta like the fact that this kid probably sits by a Korean or Japanese-heritaged kid at lunch and they trade stuff. I wish someone would have given me a delicious seaweed snack back in the day. Nobody wanted to trade with me, though. Because my mom thought sliced sunchoke was a great dessert. But I digress.

So anyway, I had a feeling these would be some sort of nori-like snack and I was right. Each pack contains a little plastic tray of toasty delights! Crispy and seasoned just right. MMMMMM!



Go ahead... lick your monitor!



But be CAREFUL. I was so excited to taste that I slipped one of the... feuilles... in my mouth in its entirety. It immediately adhered to the roof of my mouth as nori is wont to do. I gagged and made like a dog eating peanut butter for a good 15 seconds and finally had to stick my finger in there and dislodge. Gringochoke. But no biggie. All went deliciously well after that. I broke the rest in half before inserting.

Quick, they're on sale here!

1 Comments:

At 2:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not alone! Reading your post makes the seasoned seaweed addiction 'normalized' and I know that I am not the only one out there purchasing these bundles of joy by the cartload.

I stumbled upon Korean laver at a friends house and upon leaving dinner, I frantically scoured the streets looking for the nearest Asian grocery to get my fix. I bought four packs--each $1.00. The woman behind the counter was quite tickled.

A week later, I found myself once again awkwardly making non-verbal communication with the same Asian woman behind the counter with 4 more packages of laver in hand. She yelled something in Chinese to her fellow worker, probably something to the effect of: "Hey, we should charge more for this stuff, this girl's all over it!"

Wouldn't you know that the next time I found myself in the Asian store for my fix...price = $1.19!

Gasp! Horror! No way! None of the other seaweed products had bold new orange stickers with bold new prices on them!

Okay, it's a markup of 20%, big deal. But it's the principle! Ripping off the poor college student in a vulnerable space!

Thus, this is how I found your blog. I googled "Shirakiku Korean Seasoned Seaweed" so I could buy online---direct from the distributor.

No luck yet, but I'll let you know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home