Tuesday, July 04, 2006

NYC: A Walk in Chinatown

Went to Chinatown for dim sum. On the way, we checked out the awesome seafood selections. Beautiful shrimp, giant prawns, softshell crab (there at the bottom of the photo in the boxes), fish and other...



Wish I had gotten some close-ups because this was some delicious-looking fare...



We walked on. At one Chinatown storefront, I saw a man looking in a trashcan and thought, "It's sad that people have to look for leftovers in the trash." But then more people came up and started looking in. Seemed strange, so I took a look...



AAARRRGGGHHH! And they were alive and squiggling. Gulp. I daresay frog soup is on the menu in quite a few households tonight.



Then we stopped and had dim sum. I did not take photos but the flat shrimp noodles were especially tasty. And for dessert... I ate a delicious sesame ball. It's a fried ball of rice gluten covered all over with sesame seeds with sweet bean paste in the middle. The perfect finish to dim sum.

But had I not just eaten that ball of love, I might have been tempted to buy this:



A GIANT jar of Nutella. Found it on the top shelf of an Italian grocery right at the edge (or now within?) of Chinatown. It's hard to tell from the photo just how giant it was. The smaller Nutella jars you see there are the extra-large size that you can find in some Costco-type places. So that mega one is really huge. Imagine the toast you could slather with that!

4 Comments:

At 9:15 AM, Blogger Deetsa said...

What a nice visual walk through NYC Chinatown. Even the poor froggies. I like nutella a lot but I'd give anything right now to have the dessert you had at the dim sum place.

 
At 5:22 PM, Blogger melissa said...

I love Chinatown! Oh, wait, sometimes I hate it! But all those restaurants and shops, yeah, I love it again!
And yes, Little Italy will soon be renamed Micro Italy.

But where did you have dim sum? I have only been to Vegetarian Dim Sum House, which was great. I'd love to hear of other places to try.

 
At 7:21 AM, Blogger The Overworked Barista said...

You know what Nutella goes great with?

Starbucks Carmel Sauce...ah, the gooieness. =3

 
At 7:47 PM, Blogger polly + dieter said...

i think a nice nutella and slimy frog sandwhich...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home