Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Spain: Market Finds

These are fresh water-cured olives. Surprised I would ever try one of these again? Well, they were delicious!



And there were lots of black truffles to be found. I think it is the season.



No wonder all those "wild" pigs we saw were always rooting around like mad!



If I were a pig, I would definitely go for the truffle-hunter job rather than the serrano ham job. (Kind of a dead-end job, you know?)

And check out this interesting seafood called percebes, otherwise known as gooseneck barnacles:





Aren't they gorgeous? Never did get to try them. I wonder how they're cooked? They only grow in a few select places in the world... mostly Spain and Western Canada!

2 Comments:

At 2:28 PM, Blogger polly + dieter said...

these are absolutely the strangest edible things i have ever seen. they looked to me like some kind of medieval dragon's foot with a claw. what could they possibly taste like – chicken? i love to learn about foods that i have never seen before. isn't the world a fascinating place?

 
At 8:56 AM, Blogger YouGuysKnow said...

I think they are shellfish, but not bivalves, like clams/oysters. They are literally barnacles! I, too, am dying to see what they taste like as we couldn't find them prepared in any restaurants, only in the markets. Maybe someone will comment who's tasted percebes!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home