Sunday, October 08, 2006

Cocoa Beans - Who Knew?

I love chocolate. Hardcore. And look, I know a lot of people love chocolate. It's not that original or anything, so I'm just stating a fact. And I discovered something so great this week:

Whole cocoa beans! They were in a bulk bin at the local organic food co-op. Which means they are organic whole cocoa beans. Bonus. They are about the size of almonds.



I picked one out of the bin and thought, "I wonder what the heck you're supposed to do with these?" And I did what every curious foodie does, I bit into it. Eureka! So that's where those popular "cocoa nibs" come from!



I bought some and brought them home, where I crushed them a little and removed the outer skins. Now I have a pile of pure, organic cocoa nibs.



Chocolate at its purest. It's not sweet at this point, of course, but is slightly bitter and very cocoa-y. I have a friend who uses the nibs in his chocolate mousse - a great counterbalance to the sweetness and richness of the mousse. I happen to like just eating them as they are, but I might try using them in baking or roasting them.

Who needs a 86% cocoa chocolate bar when you can have a mouthfull of 100% coco bean?

8 Comments:

At 5:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How totally, totally cool. I'm salivating.

 
At 2:22 PM, Blogger Liz said...

Drooollll... sorry.

Glad you're back! Enjoy the nibs :)

 
At 8:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where exactly did you find them?

 
At 2:06 PM, Blogger YouGuysKnow said...

anon - leave your info so i can contact you :)

 
At 11:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You think they're good now? Try grinding them up with your coffee beans (if you are a coffee snob, you should be using a burr grinder, as the blade grinders overheat the bean). I find that, for my stove-top 6-cup cappuccino maker

http://www.amazon.com/Bialetti-Moka-Express-6-Cup/dp/B000CNY6UK

(really the closest you can get at home to a good cafe espresso for under $2,000), it takes 2 whole beans per brew. Good luck.
-Kris

 
At 6:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been SO curious about cocoa nibs and beans. Finally I have a clearer understanding. Now, where does cocoa butter come from?

 
At 11:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yummy to put some on a spoonful of honey!

 
At 7:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Enjoy the nibs :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home